As this summer progresses, we want you to succeed when it comes to your lawn. We know how important the look of a pristine lawn is, but sometimes getting the look you want means starting over and completely renovating your lawn. Lawn renovation can feel like a daunting task, but with these 8 lawn care tips, you’ll be well on your way to a healthier, greener lawn!
1. Find the problem: Ask some simple questions. Where does your lawn need a little extra TLC? What looks unhealthy? There are many issues that could keep your lawn from achieving its full potential. Shade, excess water or weeds are just a few of the problems you could face.
2. Start from the Start: If your lawn is too overrun with weeds, spray it with an herbicide that contains glyphosate. This will kill all vegetation but allows for new turf to take hold more easily.
3. Mow, Mow, Mow: Really scalp the lawn. Mowing low will leave the areas with the small dead plants in order to prepare for repair.
4. Repeat Rake: Rake these dead areas and leave just about 1/4 of an inch left. Rent an electronic rake from a local hardware store to speed up the process.
5. Let’s Plant: It’s time to replant. Seed distribution is key. We suggest spreading half of your seeds north/south and then making another pass east/west. This should cover your area quite effectively.
6. Water: Keep your planting area moist! The soil should never go dry the first two weeks after planting. Once the sprouts begin to show, take a cue from Goldilocks. Don’t let the soil have too little or too much water. The soil needs to be just right.
7. Feed the Beast: Remember to fertilize not only the planting area, but the entire lawn. Don’t fertilize until you see significant shoots in the planting areas. Feeding too early could kill them.
8. Mow Again: When the grass has reached about 3 inches in length, mow it. Mowing will prevent weeds and encourage healthy growth of your grass. Make sure that your mower is sharp. A dull mower could tear the seedlings from their new home. Finally, mow as normal with regular growth.
Looking for a new lawn mower to take better care of your lawn? Mower Source offers high quality Ariens, Husqvarna, and Toro lawn mowers and riding mowers for any yard, big or small. Get the best pricing around, plus free shipping to all 48 states in the continental U.S.! Shop now for our mid-season deals on lawn mowers and lawn care tools.